Discernment Group Information
What is Discernment?
In Christianity, the word “discernment” may have several meanings. It can be used to describe the process of determining God’s desire in a situation or for one’s life. In large part, it describes the interior search for an answer to the question of one’s vocation, namely, determining whether or not God is calling one to the married life, single life, religious life, ordained ministry or any other calling.
Who is organizing the Discernment group in Assumption?
Fr. Gerard will be starting the new Discernment group here at Assumption.
Who should attend?
It will be geared to men who are interested in a vocation, or who would like to explore that opportunity.
When and where is the meeting?
Beginning in November, 2011 the meeting is on the 3rd Tuesday night of every month in Monsignor Crean Hall.
Enquirers should call the rectory office (626)-792-1343 to sign up.
What are covered in the meetings?
Fr. Gerard has prepared topics for discussion and also activities for the group. The followings are examples and he is open to suggestions and interest from the group.
- Saints and sinners
- Spiritual Direction
- The call
- Trip to OLA Cathedral for Simbang Gabi (exposure to another culture)
- Trip to the Cathedral for Chrism Mass (to attend a formal liturgy of our Catholic Church)
- Trip to the Cathedral for ordination
- Visit from vocation office to explain the application process
- Visits to St. John’s and Juan Diego seminaries some time during the year.