Safeguard the Children
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish
Our Parish Commitment to Protect Children
Safeguard the Children was established to create a safe environment for children and youth in all Catholic parish communities.
ABVM Protecting God’s Children Parishioners Awareness Guidelines
The policy on mandated reporting of suspected or known child abuse in the State of California and as part of our parish/school community is as follows:
1. All parishioners as an act of love for God’s children must protect our children and youth in our parish community and home environments.
2. ALL Clergy, Religious, Parish Staff, Volunteers, and Parish Community who work with children and youth in our parish MUST, by mandate from the Los Angeles Archdiocese:
Fill out a volunteer application, be interviewed, background checked, VIRTUS trained and fingerprinted.
3. NO ONE has the right to hurt them and their entire body is private. No one has the right to touch a child in a way that makes them feel uncomfortable.
4. NO ONE has the right to tell, threaten or scare them NOT TO TELL when they are touched or hurt by ANYONE, including putting objects in their mouth that make them feel scared, hurt, or uncomfortable. This includes family members [meaning: father, mother, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, grandparents, cousins], family friends, friends, any child or youth, any teenager, teacher, or any adult.
5. TO TELL a designated adult.
CHILD ABUSE HOTLINE 800-540-4000
SAFEGUARD THE CHILDREN Parish Committee:
Father Gerard O’Brien Pastor 626-792-1343
Joanne Testacross Principal 626-793-2089
Anne Regan-Smith Assistant Principal 626-793-2089
Kathy Tracy Parish Finance Manager 626-792-1343
Araceli Valdez Preschool- High School Coordinator 626-200-0236
Katie McCarthy Parent Rep
TBD Faith Formation Coordinator
Victims Assistance Office of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles 213-637-7650
Pasadena Police Dept. 911 or 626-744-4501
Pasadena Fire Dept. 911 or 626-744-4675